When in doubt, stress and anxiety, eat cheesy creamy vegan pasta. Nothing more comforting than that, and besides its been rainy for 3 days in a row, so this is like sunshine in a plate. At least it makes me feel like there’s sunshine inside me.
I’ve been having a tough week, lots of hard decisions to make, new plans to do, and being on the state of not knowing what to do with my life really puts me in a very anxious state. I can’t sleep at night and im having anxiety attacks, I have dark circles around my eyes and a really bad mood, and the weather ain’t helping. So I need carbs with cashew creamy sauce !
I was supposed to be planning a trip to Europe right now but it is not easy when you are an “unemployed” south american tourist and European embassies are bureaucratic and question your ability to travel the world while being a young single women (they were really surprised by the fact that I can afford to travel). The thing is: I worked very very hard for a long time, saved some money and then quieted my job to travel the world. But I guess being a backpacker is a privilege that doesn’t have to do with just money, but with the continent you were born. White privilege i would say. So Europe: i don’t want your visa ! F**ck you !
Anyway, now I really feel like going to the woods and staying in a cabin by myself (meaning no humans around, just lots of dogs, cats, horses, and many other animals) for a couple of months and focusing on this blog, on learning and writing more recipes, working on my (poor for now) photography skills. I just don’t know where that place is. So if you have any suggestions of places in south America, please tell and help a conflicted girl on the edge of despair.
Back to the food. I finally managed to make a cashew creamy sauce that satisfies my heart and soul, so I’m sharing this simple recipe with you guys. I hope it also makes you feel warm and loved and help you move on with daily struggles you may have. Cause food is love. Also this vegan parmesan mix is amazing ! It’s my first time making it and I absolutely fell in love with it. Believe me, you’ll be using it in lots of preparations.
Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Pasta
For the Vegan Parmesan
- 1/2 cups raw brazil nuts
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch dry italian herbs
For the Pasta:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 8 hours
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves with skin
- 250 gr gluten-free fettuccine (or any pasta you like)
- 250 gr cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tin foil
1. Put all the ingredients on a food processor and mix until resembles bread crumbs. Taste and add more salt / pepper to taste. Reserve. You can add Nutritional Yeast to this mix if you want and it will give it a cheese flavour. Here in Bolivia is impossible to find. You can storage this mix in a sealed glass jar for up to a month.
1.Preheat the oven to 150 degrees. Meanwhile bring a large pot with water to boil with salt a the bay leaves.
2. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, add the onions and salt and cook until translucent. Add the white wine and simmer for 3 min. Remove from heat and reserve.
3. Put the cauliflower florets in an oven tray with olive oil and salt. For the garlic cloves make a small tin foil package, add the cloves and olive oil, close the package and bake with the cauliflower for about 15 min or until golden brown and cooked. Remove the garlic cloves from the tin foil and reserve. Be carefull here with the steam coming out of it.
4. Cook the pasta following the package instructions. Meanwhile, in a high-speed blender, mix the cashews, water, cornstarch, garlic cloves, onions, salt and pepper. until completely blended. Transfer this mix to a large pan and cook until creamy and thick, removing constantly to prevent lumps forming. Add the cooked pasta and cauliflower and mix gently.
5. Serve and top with the vegan parmesan. Enjoy.