Ice cream is another thing I absolutely adore and can’t imagine my life without it. Me and my best friend even made a song to honor ice cream, because it is really important to us. If you know me, you probably heard me singing it, specially if you had drinks with me. So, I made vegan ice cream this week ! and i am proud ! I must admit that i love eating ice cream on cold weather conditions. In bed and with a movie and after pizza, but that’s not the case here right now. This city is freaking hot, but i enjoyed it anyway, maybe cause i had it with hot espresso. Yes, i like hot coffee on hot weather.
The process was quite interesting. First, I could not find raw cashews here. Everywhere they are toasted and salted, so my ice cream had some intense nutty flavor. If you can find raw cashews it is better, but the salt wasnt bad at all cause you need to add some salt to ice cream anyway, so i just adapted to my ingredients. With the coffee though is another story. We have great coffee beans in Bolivia and the coffee drinking culture (fancy espresso and Ice Latte) is starting to grow. Not sure if it is a good thing or not, cause you know: gentrification, but i am really glad i can find great coffee beans, cause off course i am a coffee addict. Who isn’t these days?
Another thing is: I don’t have an ice cream machine, so i had to churn and whip my ice cream a few times every hour on a friday night, so i decided to have some drinks with a friend while waiting and off course i ended singing the ice cream song.
Also, my ice cream soul mate / best friend is getting married this weekend ! So this is a tribute to her and our amazing friendship.
So, just dropping this great recipe of vegan ice cream, that you can use for any kind of desert, make affogato like I did, or just eat it with a spoon right from the fridge. It is rich, creamy, it has the right amount of sweetness and it doesn’t have an overwhelming coconut flavor, like other vegan ice creams I had. To me, it came along perfect with espresso, toasted coconut flakes and grated raw cacao.
Vegan Ice Cream Affogato
For the ice cream:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 cups coconut milk, chilled
- 1/2 cup sugar molasses (miel de caña) / maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp coconut oil, melted
For the Affogato:
- 6 shots of espresso
- toasted coconut flakes (I toast them in the oven for around 5 min on low temp.)
- grated raw cacao
- Blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender, except the coconut oil, until creamy and smooth, then add the melted coconut oil and mix until it is all well integrated. Transfer to a chilled metal bowl. Freeze for around 2 hours. Remove from the fridge and put back in the blender. Mix until creamy, like smoothie texture. Repeat this process 2 more times every 30-60 minutes. Or if you have an ice cream machine, follow your machine instructions.
- Prepare 6 shots of espresso on your espresso machine. Serve ice cream on individual cups and pour over the espresso, top with the coconut flakes and the grated raw cacao.